7 reasons why - Thanks to YOU -
the world is a better place for animals
"My Thanksgiving is perpetual."
-Henry David Thoreau
Every day at HSHV, we are grateful for you, our supporters. Only because of you
do amazing things happen. Here are just a few of this year's highlights so far:
- Already this year, nearly 450 pets have reunited with their families! Though a successful Lost & Found program takes extraordinary effort, it saves so much heartache -- and we're thankful to help animals like Tabby, the German Shepherd mix who traveled across state lines to return home.
- Every month nearly 3,000 pounds of food fill the bowls for pets in need. HSHV's Bountiful Bowls program gives temporary assistance to people like Diana, an Ypsilanti Meals on Wheels client, and Misty, her faithful 14-year old Cockapoo companion -- helping the two of them stay together.
- Instead of dumping their animals alongside the road or abandoning them in vacated apartments, thousands have come to HSHV to help animals be rehomed. While there are myriad reasons people surrender their pets, we're fortunate that HSHV is open to them 7 days a week.
- Injured animals like The Shrimp, caught in the razor wire of a prison fence and Andromeda, found motionless on the side of the road; and innocent wildlife like this orphaned baby green heron and raccoons whose mother was hit by a car receive help with our 100% donor-funded "ambulance service."
- Puppies like Rey and Rolo and over 1,300 other animals receive crucial foster care, responsible for giving animals the individualized attention they need to survive and thrive.
- You allow us to speak for the voiceless, working to help keep laws in place to protect pet owners who accidentally lose their beloved pets, prosecute those who are cruel to animals, and to protect wildlife from being scapegoated with human-created problems.
- We are able to treat tough conditions like parvo, help find homes for cats some shelters deem "unadoptable" with FIV and FeLV, improve life for waiting homeless dogs, and have the best save rate in the state among similar shelters.
And so far, this year, over 3,300 animals in our community have been adopted into loving homes. And this year's not over! We are so grateful to you, our readers, our supporters and friends. We hope your holiday season is as warm and loving as the blessings you've given HSHV and the animals in our community.