Pets for Patriots
Pets for Patriots is a 501(c0(3) charity connecting adult and other at-risk shelter pets with members of the U.S. Military. HSHV has become a participating shelter and is proud to offer adoptions of eligible pets at 50% off our adoption fees. Our full service veterinary clinic will also give adopters 10% off veterinary care for the life of the adopted pet. For more information, call (734) 662-5585.
What is an eligible adoption?
- Adult cat or dog: two years of age or older
- Large dogs: 40+ pounds, regardless of age
- Special needs cats or dogs: any animal that is disabled or otherwise limited in its physical abilities due to injury, prior abuse or neglect, or birth defect – or that has a medical condition requiring ongoing vigilance, medication or special treatment; regardless of age.
Who is an eligible adopter?
- Any member of any branch of the U.S. military, at any stage of their career (active, reserve, veteran)
- Must adopt the pet for him/herself; cannot adopt on behalf or, or for another person
- Must present "Pets for Patriots" membership letter; no exceptions
- Individuals must first register with "Pets for Patriots"
How does this work?
- Once you have registered and have your membership letter our shelter staff will assist you in choosing an eligible pet from the animals ready for adoption, that meets your lifestyle-appropriate needs
- All animals will have been spayed/neutered, be updated on vaccinations, behavior and medically evaluated and given a microchip I.D.
- After meeting and spending time with the pet you will participate in an adoption meeting with our knowledgeable staff to answer any questions.
- We promise to make the experience enjoyable and informative and to provide the extraordinary customer service
- You and your new companion will go home the same day
- 50% off our adoption fee for all eligible patriots
- 10% lifetime discount for veterinary services in our low cost, full-service veterinary clinic
What if I'm not approved or don't wish to apply?
- HSHV offers a 10% discount on adoption fees for all members of the U.S. Military (active and non-active). This discount is offered to servicepeople who do not qualify or do not wish to apply for the Pets for Patriots program, and is in lieu of the Pets for Patriots discount.