Sometimes the animals who come into our shelter need some extra help to find their new homes, or they come from special situations. Maybe it's a dog that needs a little more training, or a cat that would be happier living in a barn than in a house. Maybe the animal has a medical condition that will require ongoing care, or there's a pair of pets who have bonded to each other.
Whatever the situation, we have a program in place to help each of our animals find the best possible home. Here are some of our ongoing adoption programs:
- Adopt a Barn Cat Program: Cats that are already in our shelter who do not fit an in-home adoption can be adopted out to a barn for free.
- Senior-to-Senior Adoptions: Senior people over 62 years of age are eligible for a free adoption of a senior animal (8 years or older), or a 10% discount off other animals - You must mention you want this adoption special at the time of your adoption.
- Pets of the Week: Staff favorites who are highlighted for one week. Receive 10% off your adoption fee if you adopt a Pet of the Week that week!
- PetSmart Charities Rescue Waggin': In conjunction with PetSmart Charities, Rescue Waggin' transports animals from communities where they are unlikely to find homes to communities with higher animal adoption rates.
- Pets for Patriots: HSHV is proud to be a member of the "Pets for Patriots" nationwide program. This unique adoption program matches homeless shelter pets with veterans. Together, we're determined to make the joys of adult pet ownership achievable and affordable for the men and women of the U.S. Military.
- Military (Active and Non-Active): All servicepeople are eligible for a 10% discount on their adoption fee. This discount is available to any member of the U.S. Military who is not taking part in the Pets for Patriots program.
- Pet Friendly Apartment Directory: If you have pets already, or are planning on adopting soon, please look at this apartment directory. These rental properties have partnered with HSHV and have a clear pet policy.