Surrendering a pet is never an easy decision.
But if you are no longer able to care for your pet, we are here to help.

How has the intake process changed during Covid-19?

We are still here to help, but ask that you please call the Intake Department at 734-661-3528 to speak with someone about bringing your animal in or other questions. This will help keep the capacity of our lobby to a safe and healthy level for customers and staff. Thank you!

Before you decide

Please know that HSHV has many services that that may allow you to keep your pet in your home, including behavior help, emergency harbor, pet food assistance, and training.

If you have reached the decision to humanely euthanize your pet, we offer end of life services. To discuss, please call the HSHV Veterinary Clinic at (734) 662-4365.

Rehoming on your own

We know the idea of surrendering your pet to a shelter (even a great shelter) can be a scary prospect. If you think you might want to try to rehome your animal on your own, there are resources that can help:

List your animal on HSHV’s Rehoming page here (Free service)

And/or list through Adopt-A-Pet:

Surrendering your own pet

Please call (734) 661-3528 in advance to discuss before bringing us your pet. If you live outside of our service area we may not be able to help you. You may be asked to call the shelter in your area.

HSHV’s Intake department can be reached at (734) 661-3528, 7 days a week, between the hours of 9am-5pm.

Our primary service area is Washtenaw County. Please understand that we have limited space. In order to give every single animal the best chance at finding a new, happy home, we may put your name on a waiting list, or you may be told we are full and have no room to help you. We regret HSHV cannot help every animal.

After calling, and if you are told we can assist you, please download and complete a surrender form below and bring your pet along with all available veterinarian records and proof of residency.

Relinquish your dog

Relinquish your cat

Relinquish your rabbit

Relinquish your other animal

Washtenaw County residents will be charged a $30 surrender fee to help pay for your animal’s care. (The average animal costs HSHV $325 to re-home.) If your pet has serious health or behavior problems related to aggression that will make re-homing not possible, we will talk with you about the owner-requested euthanasia process.

Animals from outside Washtenaw County are considered out of our service area. We are honored that you want to use our facility to re-home your animal. Unfortunately, there are limits to the number of animals we can serve healthily and humanely and you may be told that we can’t help you.

Pet overpopulation is still a problem, and the animals in our service area must be our first priority if we are to effectively meet our mission to save lives and reduce unnecessary suffering. If you do not live in Washtenaw County, but want to surrender your animal at HSHV, we require that you call in advance and please know that there is a required $100 surrender fee if we can help you.

If we do not have available space, you may be asked to try back at another time or go to your own community designated shelter. Here is a list of shelters (PDF) serving counties in Southeast Michigan.

Bring a stray animal to HSHV

HSHV accepts stray companion animals from Washtenaw County and Plymouth. There is no fee, but we greatly appreciate donations to help cover the cost of care.

Please bring the stray animal to our Intake department during the hours of 9 am-5 pm, 7 days a week. Do not tie an animal outside the building or leave puppies, kittens or rodents in boxes outside the building.

Did you find kittens? Here’s what to do

Have a stray animal picked up

While HSHV is the holding facility for strays in Washtenaw County, HSHV does not pick up stray animals. Please contact your local Law Enforcement Agency for assistance with pick-up.


  • Washtenaw County residents: Call Sheriff dispatch at (734) 994-2911
  • Plymouth City or Township residents: Call Police dispatch at (734) 453-8600
  • Northville residents: Call Police dispatch at (248) 349-5100

Please, do NOT bring us strays from outside our service area

Sometimes folks try to mislead us in an effort to get us to help a stray animal not from our service area.  This is usually done with the very best of intentions, but can cause many problems in the long-run. Most significantly, a lost animal may lose their chance at getting home. If you live outside of Washtenaw County, Plymouth, or Northville City please contact the shelter in your county, as we cannot take a stray outside our service area.

We get it.  Many communities have shelters that don’t meet good standards.  Often these are tax-funded facilities, and how they are funded and managed is a choice made by local officials.  Please consider expressing your concerns to the officials responsible for that shelter so that you can help make a difference for all homeless animals in your community.